Test case is a collection of input data required to run a Scenario. A Scenario is composed of a set of Actions. All the input parameters required for these Actions make up the data requirement for the Scenario.
A given Scenario may need to be executed with multiple combinations of data inputs, making way for multiple test cases. Every Scenario may have one or more test cases defined for it.
Note: If a Scenario does not include any Actions with parameters, there is no scope for data driving. Such scenarios are considered to be one test case by default.
Test cases can be created manually, one at a time from the Scenario sidebar or you can import them in bulk from an excel spreadsheet.
You can download a template applicable for the Scenario from the "Import Test Case" dialog. Test case names are required to be unique. In case you want to overwrite an existing test case, choose the checkbox option in this dialog.
Here are the rules to follow while preparing the excel sheet for import:
- First row is the header row with column names.
- First column name must be "Test Case Name". Value for this column must be unique, unless you choose to overwrite existing test cases.
- Each input parameter should be specified in a separate column.
- Metadata column names should be prefixed with "$MD."
- Tags can be specified with column name, "$MD.Tags". Multiple tags can be specified with ";" separation.
- If there are duplicates in parameter names across different steps of the Scenario, prefix the ambiguous column names with "$<step number>".
- Column names are not case sensitive.
- A maximum of 500 test cases can be imported in one shot.
- If a parameter is of type "Data Type", then any value which is not matching with any of the class names is considered to be a literal value.
- Metadata values should be specified in the following format, depending on the type of field:
- Date: mm/dd/yy format
- Boolean: True/Yes/1 to indicate 'true' value and all others to indicate 'false' value
- User Name: Should be specified as "<first name>,<last name>"